By the time 3pm rolled around I was stir crazy. I had toured the whole hotel more than once, sat down by the pool, read a few chapters in a book I brought and watched many episodes of Cops. All the while, the conversation with The Personal Trainer replaying in my head. I kept telling myself I was stupid and handled the situation wrong. I should have waited until I got back into town to talk to him. I should have just told him I was down there with a friend for a few days and that we'd catch up once I got back. But stupid me.. I didn't.
At 3:15 I called The Army Recruiter to see how much longer he was going to be but got no answer. I was starving and beginning to feel like a prisoner. I almost ordered room service again but since he told me he'd be out by 3, I figured I'd wait assuming he'd be starving by the time he got done, too.
It wasn't until after 4 that he finally called me back to let me know he was on his way. He said that he was indeed hungry, but wanted to come up and change out of uniform before taking me out to dinner. We hung up and I quickly got myself ready. A few minutes later I heard him entering the room and while I expected to be excited to see him, I was surprised that I wasn't.
We both said a casual (and somewhat awkward) hello and he went to change. In my attempt to fill the silence I asked what he wanted for dinner and his reply was "I don't care.. what do you want?"
I didn't know what restaurants were around, so I suggested we just hop in the car and go look. He reluctantly agreed but said he wanted to just 'chill out' for a bit before going anywhere. A few HOURS later, we were finally on our way. After many wrong turns, 1 way streets going in the opposite directed we wanted to go and a few near-miss accidents, we finally saw an Longhorn Steakhouse and decided on that. Really.. I just wanted out of the damn car. His driving was beginning to make me sick and the death-grip I had on the 'oh shit' handle was making my hand hurt. We argued constantly about his inability to follow directions and the fact that he could get lost in a paper bag.
We didn't have to wait long for a seat and our (somewhat unfriendly) bantering continued throughout the meal. When the check came, I noticed he was studying the receipt with severe concentration.
"What's the matter? Did they charge us wrong?"
"Oh no.. I was just trying to figure out your portion of the meal"
Now, it wasn't like I was opposed to paying for myself and it wasn't like I expected a guy to buy all the time.. but damnit! I didn't expect to have to feed myself for the WHOLE trip!! When he said he wanted to take me out to dinner, I was under the assumption that meant TREAT me to dinner since I was caged up all day. I DIDN'T expect him to mean.. he was just DRIVING me to dinner. I tried to suppress my irritation as I dug for my bank card in my purse. I guess he caught on to my slight attitude because he attempted to explain why he couldn't pay for me.
"The Army is paying for my meal since they're the reason why I'm here. But, I can't charge your food to the account, too."
I muttered a "it's fine" as I asked the server to split our check. We paid our bill and headed back out. I was dreading getting back into the car with him but it wasn't like I could walk back to the hotel.
"You wanna do anything while we're out?"
"Sure! You have anything in mind?" I was hoping it was something that didn't require us to drive much.
"Ohh.. hmmm.. not really. I don't know much around here. We could try to find a club, though I'm not really into that."
I wasn't into the club/bar scene either so I was glad he didn't really have his heart set on that. "Why don't we just go down to the beach?" It was going on 8pm and the sun was almost completely set. I thought a sunset walk on the beach would be nice and relaxing and hoped it would bring us a little closer. And get me out of my pissy state.
"Yea.. I guess we could do that. We'll just have to find a place to get there but we can't be out too late. I have to get up early in the morning."
"It's only 8pm. How 'late' is late for you?"
"Well.. we can hang out for like an hour or so" I rolled my eyes as I turned to face the window.
After another hour of driving around aimlessly trying to find a place to park that wouldn't get the car towed and me trying to keep my dinner from coming back up.. I suggested we just give up and head back to the hotel. He mumbled something inaudible under his breath but the impression I got was something smartass or rude. I will admit, by this time we were both getting pretty snippy.
"I really can't understand how you're so directionally challenged!! I hope to GOD you never have to lead the troops anywhere! The way you get lost, you'd lead them right into an ambush!!"
"Why don't you just shut up and sit there? You think you could do any better??"
"YES! Actually I DO!!"
"Are you ALWAYS such a nag?? Or are you just being a bitch for my benefit?"
"OH you just bring out the bitch in me."
We couldn't get back to the hotel quick enough and as soon as we parked, I fled up to the room. I let the room door slam behind me, which was just a second before him, almost hitting him in the face. As I smiled to myself, I quickly grabbed my P.J.'s and headed for the bathroom. Before I got to the door, he stopped me.
"What's your problem anyway?"
"What's my PROBLEM?? I have been cooped up in the damn hotel all fucking day! Couldn't go anywhere! Couldn't do anything! You were supposed to be back here around 11-12.. but you don't get back here until after 4! I'm STARVING and all you want to do is sit on your ass and watch T.V.!!"
"You knew I had to work while I was down here!" He yelled back
"Yes! I did! But you said 'a few hours each day'! That was NOT 'a few hours'! That was all fucking day!!!"
"You're just pissed because I didn't pay for dinner"
"NO! I'm pissed because you brought me down here on false pretenses!! You made it sound like it would be a mini-fucking-vacation for the two of us with just some work sprinkled in there! But in reality.. it was the exact opposite!"
And with that, I pushed passed him and headed for a hot shower.
Wednesday, October 27, 2010
Challenging
Posted by ~J at 10/27/2010 02:06:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
What a dick! He could have paid for your dinner using another means. Like using HIS bank card or cash. I don't like this guy at all. DUMP HIM and find a real man who knows how to treat a lady.
I know! I couldn't believe that he was being so damn cheap! First breakfast, now dinner too?! I was definately seeing a different side of him and I didn't like it! Cheap bastard! lol
Post a Comment